On June 14, 2016, the Women Startup Challenge showcased 10 amazing, women-led tech startups in a pitch competition held at LinkedIn in San Francisco.
A panel of investors, that included Lisa Stone, entrepreneur and cofounder of BlogHer, Nisha Dua, partner at BBG Ventures, Susan Kimberlin, venture partner at Backstage Capital, and Ajay Chapra, general partner at Trinity Ventures, awarded more than $400,000 in cash and cloud services. The event was co-produced by Women Who Tech and Craig Newmark’s craigconnects.
Founder Pitching: Kiah Williams
The top prize of $50,000 went to SIRUM (Supporting Initiatives to Redistribute Unused Medicine) of Stanford, California, a “match.com” for unused, unexpired medicine which matches it with people in need.
Audience Choice Award:
Founder Pitching: Stephanie Lampkin
The Audience Choice Award and $120,000 in cloud services went to Blendoor of San Francisco, a blind recruiting app for job recruiters that hides the candidate’s name and photo to circumvent unconscious bias and facilitate diversity. Its goal is to highlight the information that’s most relevant to a candidate being a “good fit,” independent of race, gender, (dis)ability, military history, or sexual orientation.
Founder Pitching: Katie Brenner
A $10,000 investment from Backstage Capital was awarded to bluDiagnostics of Madison, Wisconsin, one of the first apps to enable women to understand their body through revolutionary saliva-based measurement technology that provides immediate, quantitative data about hormone levels.
- Babyation has revolutionized the breast pump by making it quiet, comfortable, discreet, and controllable by smartphone. It offers customizable programs and an app for “smart” data logging.
- Blendoor is a blind recruiting app that hides candidate name and photo to circumvent unconscious bias and facilitate diversity.
- bluDiagnostics is one of the first apps to enable women to understand their body through revolutionary saliva-based measurement technology that gives women immediate, quantitative data about their hormone levels
- Cake is the mint.com for end-of-life planning. They provide experts to help create a comprehensive end-of-life plan that’s stored securely in the Cloud.
- ClearVest Advisers is a fintech alternative investment platform, providing access to established and emerging managers with lower investment minimums.
- Design Flux Technologies is revolutionizing the energy storage industry by creating and selling the world’s first Battery Operating System, “Cognicell” in clean energy applications.
- EmbraceFamily Health is a mobile-first digital maternal child health platform that empowers women with personalized information for maternity care and baby care.
- Entry Point VR provides cross-platform distribution and analytics for virtual reality content.
- Mohop digitally fabricates mass-customizable footwear on demand with robots.
- SIRUM (Supporting Initiatives to Redistribute Unused Medicine) is the “match.com” for unused, unexpired medicine, matching it with people in need.
Learn more about the 10 finalists >>
Startups have the chance to win $50K in cash, a $10K investment from Backstage Capital, and $360K in IBM cloud credits. The audience will vote for their favorite startup pitch in partnership with Audience Awards and IBM and the top three most voted pitches will receive $120k each in cloud credits from IBM. Visit the Audience Awards to vote for your favorite pitch from June 14-20.